Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Rain, Rain, Go Away

Rain, rain, go away, come again another day. Exactly what I have been thinking all weekend. Unfortunately, the weather is unchanged by my lullaby. However, fortunately for me, a little sunshine could be ushered in with a tasty, and quite precious treat!

What else would I be doing on a dreary day than perusing the internet for beautiful confections? Nothing. Although, I finally decided to act on my research! I would make a cake that might just replace my long sought after billowy clouds and clear blue skies. I was determined to be successful.

The cake was just a simple boxed chocolate cake, but the icing was the adventure for which I longed. 
 The recipe is adapted from i am baker:
  • 6-7 cups powder sugar (I used seven and it was really sweet)
  • 1 cup butter flavored shortening
  • 2 tsp vanilla extract
  • 1/2 cup milk

 A "crumb coat" just to seal the cake and create an even base. I usually put it in the refrigerator/ freezer so it sets up, but I didn't do that with this icing recipe, and it held up really well.
 I added a rose detail to the top with a star tip, and my boyfriend had his crafty moment with the dots at the bottom (because at the end of the day, it's all just fun)!
It was the first time I ever used decorating tips. I'm pretty happy with the end result. A little shabby chic, if you ask me. Not a bad way to cheer up a rainy day!
xoxo,
alexis

No comments:

Post a Comment