Monday, October 21, 2013

Fallin' in Love with Fall

It seems that everyone I know is uh-bsessed with one thing--pumpkin. Me too. The greatest time of year is when you finally hit that one day when it is just cold enough to wear boots and you don't look crazy. That day was last Saturday. However, my date with pumpkin couldn't wait that long...

The picture says it all. These babies were moist and delicious. The frosting was creamy and sweet with a hint of cinnamon. Fallin' in love with fall.

The cupcake recipe is:
1.)Cream 1/2 cup softened butter with 1 1/3 cups sugar. Add 2 eggs which have already been beaten.
2.) Blend in 1 cup mashed cooked or canned pumpkin into the wet ingredients.
3.) In a separate bowl, combine 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour,1 tablespoon baking powder, 1/2 teaspoon baking soda, 1/2 teaspoon salt, 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon, 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger, and 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg.
4.) Alternate adding the dry ingredients with 3/4 cup milk and stir until just combined.
Note: important with many recipes, you do not want to over mix the ingredients, as it will effect the density, rising, or texture of your goods.

Onto the icing, a simple recipe for cream cheese frosting:
1/2 cup butter
8 oz cream cheese
2+ cups powdered sugar
splash of vanilla
+cinnamon if you want
I say more than 2 cups of sugar if you want to transport your cupcakes. Most of the time I find cream cheese frosting to be the most delicious, but the most challenging frosting for decorating. I added the cinnamon too, because the cupcakes were just begging for it.

Disclaimer: these are more spice than pumpkin tasting. The pumpkin here provides texture and richness. But, that is what I look for in a pumpkin recipe.

Oh, did I forget to mention that I gave these all away! (Well, not all of them...) The wrapped box below is another great idea for holiday gifts! The boxes come in packages of 3 and it is so easy to tie a big bow and include a handwritten note. I better stop before I give all my secrets away...



No comments:

Post a Comment