Monday, October 28, 2013

B is for Breakfast and Basketball

I don't only eat desserts.(surprise!) During basketball season, things change for our family. We start eating better, more balanced meals. We eat less sweets, sigh. To turn my frown upside down, I like to embrace the change and make life just as delicious as all the other times of the year. So, B is for breakfast and basketball season. Ahh, the inspiration behind it all:
Breakfast and basketball haven't always been part of my life, but in 2011, I started to warm up to change. My heart was broken when I rooted for the Heat in the finals and they lost in an UGLY fashion. Breakfast and basketball were in the doghouse. However, soon we would all be one happy family. Fast forward to this year, and I literally have one happy family. We celebrate you--breakfast and basketball. 


Today I reveal some secrets about breakfast.
Eggs are excellent.
  • If you like scrambled eggs, use low heat to break up the protein, making them fluffy without milk--just keep working them with a spatula!
  • If you like fried eggs, to make a healthy version, use a small bit of olive oil just to coat the pan, instead of butter.
  • If omelets are your thing, I got nothin'. Still a work in progress.
 Think outside of the box.
  • It is easy to go for starches like grits or sliced bread, but try something else. I like potatoes for breakfast. Here's what I do for a fast solution: microwave the potatoes and then cut them into cubes. Put them into a plan with some bell peppers and it's delicious
  • Some explanation on the bell peppers... put a little bit of olive oil into a pan and the tiny cubes of pepper on medium heat. I usually cover with a lid to speed up the cooking time. 
  • If you must, try cereals that have limited ingredients. My favorite is Kashi Cinnamon Harvest. It has like four ingredients. I reduce some blueberries and pour it over for a warm treat in cold weather. (water, blueberries, cinnamon, and truvia) 
It's the greatest time to do the right thing.
  • If you start out breakfast completely balanced, the rest of the day is downhill. 
  • In order to round out breakfast, I like to add a little fruit and maybe some more dairy like Greek yogurt--A for effort. Terry gets the sweetened stuff instead.
  • It might seem over kill, but I promise you'll be "full and focused" for hours. I'm talking superhero style. Katniss style. LeBron style.Oh, yeah and per last night--Calvin Johnson style.

No comments:

Post a Comment