Friday, February 1, 2013

Learn to play nice--double doozie


As aforementioned, I love any treat that is associated with Valentine's Day.
I die for a double doozie from the cookie company. die. 
That is all you need to know. 

Last week, I made these cookies. They were really good, so I decided to use the left over dough for something a bit grander. I did add a couple chocolate chips on top of each round of dough before baking to give them a little extra chocolatey-goodness.

A basic buttercream recipe on the side of the domino bag will suffice--
4 oz (1/2 cup) unsalted butter
4 cups powdered sugar
3-4 Tbsp milk
1/2- 1 tsp vanilla extract
1/4-1/2 tsp almond extract             

I used the almond extract because the cookies have almonds in them, but also, the icing can sometimes be too sweet. The almond and vanilla combination rounds out the flavor. 

After whipping those ingredients together add single drops of red food coloring until you reach your desired intensity. (I added two.)

  Use a star tip to swirl the icing on--it works best if one cookie has most the icing, and the top cookie has a dollop too. Kinda like two like ends of a magnet, the cookies repel each other and resist the urge to sink.

     rolled in pink sugar crystals               mini chocolate chips mixed      
                                                          in (large round tip)

Unfortunately, the lemonade girl scout cookies couldn't play nicely, and rudely took over the flavor of these delights. Maybe I'm biased. I just wish my doozies would have held their own ground in that cake stand. Sad day for chocolate chip cookie lovers. I digress. I take my fight to other baking wars. 

xoxo, 
alexis

No comments:

Post a Comment